Sunday, March 6, 2016

Selfie Sticks on Mountain Tops

For my birthday, my friend Christie gave me a selfie stick. Since my cell phone is a Blackberry circa 2010, I don't have a lot of daily opportunities to use a selfie stick. Fortunately, Scotty has a fancier phone that is compatible with selfie sticks, so I knew there would be a chance to use "the stick" someday.

Last week, I met up with the blogger formerly known as Heidikins, who happens to be my 5th? 8th? (who knows) cousin. We met online ten years ago when she was trying to start a family blog, and SURPRISE! The URL was already taken... by ME (and my cousin). We've met up a few times in real life, like here...

 January 2008 014 

And here...

 Bloggy Friends

But I think both of those meet-ups were during the time of actual cameras, and there definitely weren't any selfie sticks.

Heidi and I decided to hit the trail together and hike Ensign Peak. I often use Scotty's old cell phone as my camera, so I thought, "I must bring my selfie stick!"

Having never used a selfie stick, I needed to do a test run so I could impress Heidi with my insane "selfie sticking" skills. Here is my FIRST. EVER. selfie stick photo:

Untitled 

I can't mentally configure the set-up that brought about that photo (Which way was the phone facing? Is that my ceiling? What the hey?). The good news is that I got a little better. I at least had a subject in the photo other than the stick.

Untitled 

Obviously there is much to learn about the art of "selfie sticking." Lesson #1: How to hold the selfie stick without looking like you're holding a selfie stick (or at least look less like you're holding a selfie stick).

The art of "selfie sticking" is further complicated when you get to the top of the mountain, and it's windy (the term "mountain" is debatable, but give us some credit. One of us has old lady knees and the other lives at 3,000 feet lower elevation). Because once you get the selfie stick in the right place, you then have to stand shouder-to-shoulder with your friend and shuffle in a circle until your hair blows in a direction that does not make you look bald nor force you to pick hair out of your teeth.

Untitled

I think we made due.

2 comments:

Feisty Harriet said...

This post makes me so happy!!! Yay for being bloggy friends forever and ever!!

xox

Isabel said...

You are so cute. Of course your first selfie stick photo is ADORABLE. And I LOVED seeing the pictures of our younger selves.

(In our weekly meetings at work we have a "safety minute". Last week's safety topic was on the dangers of selfie sticks, both physically AND psychologically.) (The topic was chosen by an old man. What a fuddy-dud.)