Friday, November 6, 2015

The Terrible Thing I Did

A year ago, something terrible happened. I've never mentioned it here on the blog because I've needed some time to cope. 

A year ago today, my sister-in-law, Chelsea got married.

Oh! But that's not the terrible thing.

The terrible thing, which a year later, I'm finally ready to talk about, is that I destroyed the wedding cake.

Yes.

Me.

I did this:

image

I took on the responsibility to pick up the cake and transport it to the wedding reception. In hindsight, there are so many things I should have done differently, first and foremost, I would now ask the baker to assemble the cake on location.

I did everything I could to get the cake there in one piece, but it didn't happen.

I am a bona fide cake wrecker!

Fortunately, Chelsea is pretty laid back. She thought it was hilarious. They threw some flowers on it, tried to fake a few photos with a friend hiding behind the cake holding it up, and served the cake in piles on plates.

If there is anyone's cake I can get away with destroying, it's Chelsea's. Thank heaven for that!

But was still very shaken by the experience. To this day, my heart rate climbs when I drive on Cake Wreck Road (the route I took to the reception whereon the devastation occurred).

Dearest Chelsea, I'm sorry that I wrecked your wedding cake. I know you forgive me, and I'm very thankful for that. I'm also very thankful that you're a licensed social worker and capable of providing therapy to help me cope with the emotions that come with ruining someone's wedding cake.

Happy Anniversary, beautiful people!


2 comments:

Feisty Harriet said...

This is so horrifying and hilarious.

xox

Unknown said...

Dear Britt,

I'm going to first give you a Craig compliment which is; Thanks for being willing to make my wedding cake so that ruining it was actually possible. hahaha Then I'm going to say is there definitely wouldn't have been anything better but feeding Bradley a pile of cake. Who wants to eat a piece when you can eat a pile. We've (Bradley and I) have been talking about tradition this weekend a lot. I guess who helped us set that one really. We just do everything by the "pile" instead of the piece. I just hope we don't have a pile of kids, but that's all. Okay. so, thanks for the cake is all I'm really trying to say here, and thanks for helping with one of our first traditions.