Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I'm post-poning my bed time so I can have some time to myself {and ten other random facts}

Fact #1: For the past few weeks I've been really overwhelmed. Oh, how I hate admitting when I'm overwhelmed. I really like that image of "handling it all," but I have a confession: not handling.

I blame school. My school (had to clarify since Nicky started school today). Throughout my entire day, there is this nagging reminder running through my head, "You need to do your homework. Why aren't you doing your homework? Don't forget you have homework!" and it's like a rash that won't go away.

On Saturday, I needed to finish up three assignments, and I honestly, sincerely forgot to do them. I realized my error on Sunday morning, but there was nothing I could do. My instructor doesn't accept late work.

Fact #2: In part, I was disappointed in myself. I'm a 3.9-er. I don't do 4.0's because I'm rebellious - I have to slack somewhere. In other ways, I feel like I was set free. I missed some assignments! Take that, school! You don't own me! But, ohmygoodness, I have an A- now. I'm not sure if I'm okay with that, even when I'm a 3.9-er. I kind of like my 3.9's to be on purpose, and this was totally an accident!

Fact #3: The last three days of my life have been very similar to the No Good Very Bad Day I posted about last week. I haven't had a chance to come up for air. Today, especially, was insane. I won't bore you with all the details, but just to give you an idea, know this: I had to reset Zoe's elbow twice in Walmart today. Twice!!!

Fact #4: Nicky is getting glasses.

Yesterday I had to take him to pick out frames, and I had no clue what I was doing. His head was too big for the kids' frames, so we had to get "man glasses." He picked out a Napoleon Dynamite pair, but I quickly shot that down. If he had his choice, Nicky would get prescription lenses put in a pair of safety goggles (he wears safety goggles more than one might expect - one of his many weird obsessions).

I realized how little I know about eye wear. I had reading glasses in high school and junior college, but I never really came to know the "eye culture." I also know nothing about fashion or current trends, so I had no idea what to look for in a pair of glasses for Nicky. His head is big and round. I'm sure there are some glasses that look better on hamburger heads than others. I'm also sure that there are glasses that are currently "cool" and they are probably not the same glasses that were cool when I was in school. The entire experience was like being in a foreign land. It's always sad when I have to turn to my son and say, "I'm sorry. I don't know how to guide you through this new experience. How 'bout these blue ones?"

Fact #5: We went with the blue pair because they were big enough for Nicky's large noggin, but they didn't make him look like a shrunken businessman.

Fact #6: I don't have time to write ten facts like I normally do, so I'm going to start skipping numbers and see if anyone notices.

Fact #8: Today at Walmart (see fact #3), I got into one of those annoying patterns of passing the same woman from the opposite direction in every aisle. She happened to have three children sitting in her shopping cart. Not a single one of them was screaming or dangling off the side. Meanwhile, I was pushing my cart of food with one hand and holding a wailing toddler under the other arm like a giant, possessed football with limbs.

Where do these people get these children that just sit in carts?

No, really!

Are they mail-ordered, or what?

You can bet that after I passed that woman for the third time, I skipped ahead three aisles to get away from her. Something was clearly wrong with her children.

Fact #10: Must... sleep...




2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

I'm postponing bedtime by leaving this absurdly long comment...

I've been in glasses since I was 10 and I yet have figured out the key to getting ones that don't make me look like a goof. Glasses shopping is agreat way for me to lower my self esteem by about 20 points each go...

Nursemaids elbow always makes me feel like I am abusing my child even if I wasnt within 10 feet of her when it happened... Cosie is my easy to pop out kid.

School started for Nicky - doesn't that deserve a blogging equivalent of a happy dance?

Grocery shopping is of the Devil. Cart-sitting kids are his spawn.

Feisty Harriet said...

#7 and #9 FTW!

xox