Wednesday, August 20, 2014

10 Things I Can be Happy About Right Now

For the past couple of months, I've found myself in a funky, dark place. I've been anti-social, unmotivated, and disinterested. I'm prone to summer depression, so when I look at the big picture, I know that's what it is, but there's a pride in me that refuses to acknowledge that I have any sort of struggle with depression. There's also a guilt in me that says, "You should be able to control this!"

But depression is not really what I want to talk about right now. I have it. It comes and goes. I've been blessed to experience it mildy rather than in its deepest, most debilitating forms. I know what treatments work for me. That is all there is to say about it.

Because I'm in this dark place, I've been trying to focus on some of the bright things in my life, so today I want to make a list of Ten Things I Can be Happy About Right Now.

Thing 1: Scotty and I have laid the smack down on our veggies these past few weeks. We have jam, salsa, tomatoes, apricot nectar, and green beans galore!

Productivity.

Accomplishment.

Food.*

image

Thing 2: For the first time since we planted our peach trees about eight years ago, we have a decent crop of peaches coming on.

Thing 3: I get to go to the temple tomorrow.

JRiver

Thing 4: School starts next week!

The school routine helps with my depression immensely.

Thing 5: Scotty has Friday off, so we are going hiking.

Thing 6: We got a new washer today.

Bummer that our old one died, but what a blessing that it died at a time when there would be enough money to replace it.

Spending aside, I have never been so excited to do laundry!

Thing 7: We're going to a family camp out this weekend. There will be nachos and s'mores.

Thing 8: I get to go grocery shopping without kids tomorrow.

Thing 9: I haven't had to stress about watering the garden over the past few weeks because of the rain.

Thing 10: Fall is just around the corner!
There's a chill in the air that lifts my heart and makes my hair stand on end. Every moment feels meant for me. In October, I'm the star of my own movie - I hear the soundtrack in my head... and I have faith in my own rising action...I come alive in October... October, baptize me with leaves! Swaddle me in corduroy and nurse me with split pea soup. October, tuck tiny candy bars in my pockets and carve my smile into a thousand pumpkins.
-Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, 99

*Lest you be disturbed by my use of an outdoor stove for canning, I only use it for water bath canning, not pressure canning.

2 comments:

Nameless-Sister-In-Law said...

Ironically, your Thing #8 is the very thing that makes me happy & that I use to combat depression as well. Funny how that works. We make a good team!

Feisty Harriet said...

This. Yes, this. I am so looking forward to cooler weather and a more structured life. I need to make a list like this.

xox