Friday, February 14, 2014

Fifteen on the Fourteenth

Today marks a momentous occasion in my life.

Yes, it is Valentine's Day - and a happy one to you. May you find joy in the people and things that you love, be it a spouse, your children, your best friends, or simply donuts.

(I happen to love all of those things very much).

(Mmmm.... donuts...)

But the momentous occasion is only slightly Valentine-esque.

Today, Scotty and I have been together for half my life. It just happens that our relationship began on Valentine's Day, but it could have just as easily been an ordinary Friday (or Sunday - because 15 years ago February 14 was on a Sunday).

Scanned Pics 001
{August 2000}

From this point forward, we have been an item for most of my life.

How cool is that?

(Scotty won't reach that point for another two years - ah, the perks of being younger).

We have had a very happy life together, Scotty and me. I say type that with complete honesty - not with any embellishment to make us look good online. Marriage has been relatively easy for us (it's the parenting thing that has knocked us off our feet time and again). I give full credit to Scotty. He is an amazing husband, and he puts up with a lot from me.

Scanned Pics 014
{March 2003} 

We balance each other well and have just enough similarities to make things work. To celebrate our fifteenth anniversary,* here are 15 ways Scotty and I are different, and 15 ways we are the same:**

The Differences

1. Scotty is street smart, I am book smart.

2. Scotty loves playing in water, I get in a pool and I'm like, "What now?"

3. I love to read, Scotty prefers to be read to.

4. Scotty can fall asleep anytime, anywhere; I have to decide to fall asleep.

5. Scotty wants the car window rolled down, I want it up.

6. Scotty can do (a lot) more push-ups, but I can plank (a lot) longer.

7. I wanted four kids, Scotty wanted two.

8. Scotty loves Swedish Fish and Circus Peanuts, I am tempted by neither.

9. I like ketchup on my hashbrowns, Scotty finds this repulsive.

10. Scotty loves to study maps and topography and commits it all to memory, I look at a map and think about butterflies.

11. I am the uptight and anxious one while Scotty is laid back.

12. Scotty is the peacemaker, I'm the one who wants to fight.

13. I like Maroon 5 and Lady Antebellum, he likes Gwen Stefani and Karmin.

14. My thirst is quenched by water, Scotty drinks water then complains that he's still thirsty.

15. If you give me a candy bar, I'll eat it right away. If you give Scotty a candy bar, he'll save it for later (so I eat that one, too).


The Similarities

1. We both love chocolate and peanut butter.

2. We are both prone to people watching - sometimes we spend our date nights staring at other people.

3. We love taking our kids to Disneyland (and we have a dream that someday we will be able to sponsor a Disneyland trip for another family).

4. We enjoy road trips and get along well for hours in the car.

5. We love strategy board games.

6. We don't care much for pasta, especially alfredo.

7. We love Brad Paisley - don't mock us!

8. We are both committed to living debt-free.

9. We're both punctual.

10. We both have problems with portion control.

11. We both come from blended families.

12. We grew up in the same neighborhood and went to the same schools.

13. We both enjoy driving stick-shifts.

14. We both have blue-eyes and used-to-be-blond hair.

15. We're both happy we found each other.

2012-20693-61 
{November 2012}

*Just to clarify, this is an anniversary of our relationship, not our marriage. I don't need anyone thinking that I got married when I was 15, but if you're curious, we will celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary in a couple of months. So yeah, I was 19. A whopping 4 years older than 15!

**I totally ripped this post idea off of Cyndi.

5 comments:

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

How fun! I love this! That is really momentous and really cool. I won't reach that milestone with Seth for another 8 years. And Seth will need another 2 after that. And it only took me 30 minutes or so to figure that one out :) But really...congratulations. I LOVE that picture of the two of you in 2003. I we love Brad Paisley too. The end.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing better then being happy together. We are happy for you.

k said...

Oh that black and white picture!

love.joy.lane said...

I am flattered...

I love hearing about you two lovebirds!

Feisty Harriet said...

Awwww, I love this.

xox