Friday, December 28, 2012

How NOT to treat cradle cap


All of my babies have had cradle cap. It started with Nicky, of course, and it drove me crazy. I would scratch and wash and scratch and wash. I just needed to get those nasty flakes off his precious baby scalp. I used a cradle cap treatment on him (I don't remember the name of the product, but it had Winnie the Pooh on it, so now whenever I see Pooh Bear, I find the nearest child and start scratching its scalp), but it didn't really help. It just made his hair sticky.

When Daisy started getting cradle cap, I decided to just leave it alone. That was much better. Even though the flakes were there, they weren't actively flaking... if that makes sense. I coached myself through those months by slowly repeating, "Leave it alone. Don't touch! Leave it alone. Don't touch."

Daisy was significantly less gross than Nicky was.

But now there's Zoe... and her beautiful, soft hair is infiltrated with cradle cap. I told myself, "Just this once!"

And I scratched some of it off.

And by golly, that got the ball rolling.

Because once you've scratched off a flake, they become ten times more noticeable, and argh! It's not pretty!

I recalled our first pediatrician telling me to use Vaseline on Nicky's cradle cap, a remedy I never ended up trying. So I decided to give it a test run on Zoe.

I lathered it on her scalp until she looked like this:

Christmas 2012

Then I let her hang out for 15 minutes while the flakes absorbed the Vaseline.

Then I gave her a bath.

Christmas 2012

And it was during that bath that I remembered how I never felt good about any of the advice that our first pediatrician gave us and how I stopped taking my kids to him because he was kind of creepy.

So, of course, the Vaseline didn't wash out after three rounds of shampoo (duh!) and three additional rounds of dish soap (double duh!), and I was left shaking my fist at that darn tootin' pediatrician!

After spending a bazillion hours washing and combing Zoe's hair, she looked like this:

Christmas 2012

So today's lesson: Don't put Vaseline in your baby's hair.

Just don't.

And if your baby has cradle cap?

Leave it alone! For the love of Pete! Leave it alone!

5 comments:

Carrisa said...

I know I'm not supposed to laugh, but man that last pic is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

oh sweet baby - your momma is crazy. We used a little Head & Shoulders, and that worked. BUT I'm not giving advice. xoxo

Tuckett's (Janilee) said...

Cradle crap was always a pain. My 2 year old still gets it every once in a while. It is much easier to leave it alone but it just calls your name to scratch it off! We would always use olive oil and a tooth brush. Thanks for the good laugh tonight!

Amber said...

Seriously you kill me girl. Poor baby girl though. Katie was the only one of my girls (so far) to get it and it's wasn't that bad. However I scratched hers off too and then she grew no hair. Have you noticed the difference in my girls' hair? Maddie has hair for days and Kate, well let's just say she struggles. Hopefully Jaycie will have hair like Maddie. Hopefully.

Lynsie said...

I can't stop laughing at that picture!!! Love it!!!