Thursday, December 21, 2023

If You're Happy and You Know It

The other day I was thinking about the different ways my kids behave when they are happy or in a good mood. Sometimes they are really annoying when they're happy - they won't stop talking and making noise, and they linger. I often have to remind myself that when my kids are talking incessantly or hovering over me, it's because they are in a good mood, and I should embrace that. I never want to scare them away from talking to us, so I try to be careful about it, but every now and then, I have to have an honest moment and ask them to shut up. 


Here are some of the ways my kids express happiness:

Nicky

  • Talking and telling stories
  • Making monkey sounds
  • Showing us videos or pictures on his phone
  • Listening to music in the kitchen (or where other people can hear)
  • Rough housing with Scotty

Daisy

  • Talking and telling stories 
  • Singing
  • Dancing
  • Asking us to watch her demonstrate some kind of skill or dance move

Zoe

  • Talking 
  • Making repetitive noises (tapping, squawking)
  • Being excessively loud
  • Saying "yay" - but matter-of-factly, not enthusiastically. It's just a quick "yay."
  • Clapping

Eva

  • Physical movement like cartwheels,hand stands, running around, skipping, etc
  • Being silly - pulling faces, doing goofy poses
  • Singing (especially in the shower)

I'm grateful for every happy moment they have, even though their happiest moments are sometimes the most irritating to me as a parent (I could do without the monkey sounds). 

No comments: