Sunday, January 15, 2023

Miles of Milestones


It’s coming!!! A huge milestone for our family. Nicky is getting his driver’s license! 

We don’t know when, for sure. The testing schedule at the DLD was a month out when we first looked, putting him at February 7th. We’ve since checked back and scheduled sooner. And then sooner. And then we saw a SAME DAY appointment and missed it by a few seconds! But we’ve managed to keep our eye out for cancellations, and if things work out, he might be driving himself to church next week! 

I’m excited, and so is he. I’m also afraid. But more so excited. I think. 

Last week we bought a third vehicle. A very used Jeep Liberty. That should allow us a little more freedom. Having kids in three different schools and having to drive to all of those schools twice every day has been intense. Especially with how often I need to be two places at once. I feel like I live in the van, but now I might be able to spend a little less time in there. 

We’ve spent the past week doing some repairs and cleaning the Jeep. We’ve also done a lot of test driving. 

It has a tape deck. Only a tape deck. So we went to the DI and found a big case of cassettes for $5. 

(I love when you go looking for something specific and actually find it!)

(We also bought a guitar, three puzzles, and a miniature ping pong table - none of which has anything to do with the car - but wow! We were big spenders this week!). 

Now we need to figure out how to navigate insurance, gas money, and car repairs with a teenager. I admit, I’ve been procrastinating deciding how we will deal with those things in our family. Suddenly it’s game time. 

One day you’re birthing a kid and the next you’re negotiating how much gas money you’re going to provide him to run all your errands with.

(Yesss!!! This is what I’ve waited for!)

No comments: