Tuesday, July 26, 2022

In which I likely convince you to grow a garden

If you’ve been a regular visitor to my blog this season, you may have gathered that I’m a bit obsessed with my garden. I used to garden just because it seemed like something I should do. I didn’t particularly love it - I just did it to be like a real grown up. But now I really, truly enjoy gardening.

If you’ve never been entirely sold on the idea of having a garden, what I’m about to tell you will surely be a selling point. I don’t want to make anyone feel bad for not having a garden, but this might hit you to the core. 

Having a garden means you can spend a lot of money on soil, fertilizer, and water. You can use an abundance of your time out in the elements pulling weeds. Then you can wait 2+ months for a crop of green beans to grow from seed until the time arrives to spend over an hour picking them on a hot July night. 

And the fun doesn’t end there! Because after you pick the beans, you can spend another hour or more snapping the ends off. And if you, like me, do not like the texture of fresh green beans, you may proceed to bottle them!

This requires a pressure canner, jars, and lids, and a few hours of sweating to death in your kitchen. No big deal.

Because, in the end, you will have enough for your family to eat beans with dinner once every 7 weeks for a whole year! And with that comes the satisfaction that YOU made it happen! You gave of yourself endlessly to have those beans. I mean, sure, you could have gone to a case lot sale and purchased quadruple the amount of beans for $13, but why would you do that? Why would you take the easy route when you can invest so much time, money, and energy into growing and canning your own?

Pretty convincing, isn’t it?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Green beans taste so much yummier grown from my own garden