Monday, June 17, 2019

(My) Kids These Days

Nicky
  • Is 12 years old
  • Wears gym shorts and Hawaiian shirts
  • Loves watching Dude Perfect
  • Is obsessed with Paul Blart Mall Cop (but if you must know, he prefers Paul Blart Mall Cop 2)
  • Wears a size 11 shoe
  • Is too big for kid's pants and too small for men's pants
  • And I can't find dress shirts that fit his neck (so Sundays are very awkward)
  • Is very responsible, and I wish he could drive
  • Always helps without being asked (but won't ever do his chores)
  • Is very money-conscious and is always lecturing me about what I spend (I hate having him at the store with me)
  • Is really inventive, clever, and funny
  • But can also be really annoying. He's a twelve-year-old boy, after all
  • Is a good writer and cartoonist
  • Always has sore legs
  • Is very critical of others (sadly, I think I know where he got it)
  • Never asks to play with friends
  • Chose to do summer piano even though I told him he didn't have to (for the first time ever)
  • Asks every day if we can go to Disneyland
  • Refuses to read anymore Harry Potter books, and I just have to be happy that he made it through the first two
  • Enjoys golfing and has a pretty decent swing
  • Imitates Gordon Ramsey every time he eats
  • Also thinks he's Derek Hough and can critique dances
Daisy
  • Is 9 years old (almost 10)
  • Is a really good helper, but it has to be her idea to help
  • Has really thick hair that has amazing potential, but I have to fight her to brush it, and she usually sports a rat's nest
  • Loves unicorns
  • Always gets headaches
  • Keeps saying she like sushi, but I'm not so sure
  • Has an expander in her mouth and will eventually get braces
  • Also says she likes Takis, but again... I'm not so sure
  • Loves to sing and is actually pretty good at it
  • Is always trying to convince me to let her drink caffeine
  • Sits way too close to the TV, and if she had it her way, watching TV and YouTube is all she would do
  • Likes to be in charge of things, and I always have to remind her that I am the primary chorister, and she is not
  • Yells at everyone a lot
  • Makes really dumb excuses for everything, and always gets hurt when its time to do chores
  • Has made a lot of wonderful progress after having really bad anxiety for a long time
  • Likes to draw and do art projects and makes some really cute and creative things
  • Doesn't have a lot of patience for things she's not naturally good at (she gets that from me)
  • Didn't want to do summer piano, but after a week of no piano, started begging for it
  • Was so excited to see Aladdin and has been singing "A Whole New World" for weeks
  • Has major issues with honesty
  • Asks everyday if she can make slime
Zoe
  • Is 6 years old
  • Is my most touchy-feely child and has no awareness of personal space 
  • Likes boys and is very forward about telling them she has a crush on them
  • Has lost a few teeth and has a lot of overcrowding. The orthodontist has big plans for her
  • Loves riding her bike and rides really fast
  • Needs to work on her potty mouth
  • Wants to wear pajamas all the time
  • Is pretty whiney 
  • Has big, impossible ideas all the time
  • Has gotten really tall in the past year
  • Needs a lot of attention but also a lot of alone time
  • Has the cutest spattering of freckles across her nose
  • Wants chicken noodle soup all the time
  • Loves penguins
  • Drags blankets everywhere and refers to her favorite one as her "booger blanket," and I'm just not going to ask any questions about that
  • Is so fun to watch when she's playing. She perfectly demonstrates childhood joy
  • Really wants to take ice skating lessons
  • Doesn't like milk and always asks for water with ice
  • Sleeps on the top bunk 
  • Needs her tonsils out, but I keep putting it off
  • Recently learned how to microwave popcorn, and she makes it all the time now

Eva
  • Is 4 years old
  • Is equal parts adorable and horrible
  • Has a sippy cup habit that we're never going to kick
  • Loves sharks and has shark sheets, a shark blanket, and several stuffed sharks
  • Gets away with a lot
  • Makes major messes 
  • Throws big tantrums
  • Always pats my belly and asks if I'm having a baby
  • Has the same potty word problem as Zoe
  • Still wears diapers at night and completely soaks them
  • Is very disruptive in primary every week
  • Is a sugar junkie
  • Sleeps on the bottom bunk
  • Always has to go potty wherever we go
  • Pees her pants and then tells me she spilled her water
  • Hauls blankies around (all my kids have been blanket kids)
  • Always says "psych!"
All of Them
  • Hate doing chores and would rather cut off their legs with a hacksaw
  • Are creators and love making things and doing projects. We have daily art project messes
  • Want to be barefoot all the time
  • Watch way too much TV 
  • Love cooking - I've had to develop a "kitchen helper" chart and make a rule that no one is allowed to help cook unless it's their day to be the kitchen helpers
  • Fight all the time

1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

My four year old also soaks nightime diapers... I am so glad it isn't just her. All my other kids day/night trained simultaneously so I have low tolerance for it and have said no less than 10 times to her, "this is the last box of diapers I will buy!" But I always buy more cause I got no time to wash sheets.

Size 11 shoes... What?!?!?!!