Sunday, July 5, 2015

Running Questions

The other day, my friend Amy posted her answers to a running survey. I read every word and thought about my own answers. Three years ago, I never would have participated in such a survey, let alone read one! I feel like I can almost... somewhat... actually... maybe... contribute to the conversation at this point. But then again, I am not in a good place with running right now. I started off with bang after having Eva, but after my first two runs, I've found myself in a yucky place. I blame the heat. Summer isn't the best time for me to "start over." Frankly, it's bad for my self-esteem. Every run I go on right now is a huge mental battle. My legs are tired and weak, and I'm incredibly slow. It's just a big 'ole dose of self-defeat each time I tie those shoes and head out the door. 

I want to feel like this when I run...*

Ragnar

But I don't. I can't photograph how running makes me feel right now. It would give you bad dreams. 

1. Would you rather run along a beach path or on a mountain trail? It's a toss up. Both are beautiful, so I will pick whichever is cooler (as in temperature).
2. If you could choose the flavor of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be? Blue. I realize "blue" is not a flavor, but I can tolerate most blue Gatorades. I don't like red, yellow,or green. In most cases, I would prefer water, but for over 7 miles, it's nice to have some electrolytes. I almost passed out in a bathroom with my pants down after a 12-miler with only water. I had really bad vertigo and got extremely nauseated. I don't want to be in that situation ever again. 
3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it? Shoes. Gotta be practical.  
4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and decide then how far and how fast you want to run? I rarely run with a plan. If I try to follow a training plan, I get angry and lose my motivation because I feel like I'm being told what to do. Don't boss my running! 
5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill? I usually go uphill first. I feel like going downhill is my reward. 
6. When you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do? Right now I do abs and weights. 
7. What is your preference—> Out and back, point to point or loop runs? I don't really care. They all have their pros and cons. My two most common routes are an out and back and a loop. It really just depends on how far I'm going. I never run from point to point.
8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner, it would be a -> Everyone is so different that I wouldn't really recommend anything specific. Find what YOU like. I have a lot of different clothing and accessories, but the only thing I'm truly loyal to is thigh coverage, lest I should start a fire on the go. Not everyone has that problem, though. 
9. Do you ever see any wild animals while out on your runs? Scotty and I saw a fox once. Other than that, just birds. 
10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run? Nope
11. If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days… what would that meal be?
Mornings: Toad in a hole with a runny egg and 12 oz.cookies and cream protein drink. Afternoons/evenings: banana and a peanut butter and honey sandwich.
12. Capris or shorts… what do you run in most often? It just depends on what's clean and how hot it is. In the winter I wear capris or pants. In the summer I wear shorts with mid-thigh length compression shorts underneath. 
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go? Right now? Never. Between the heat and being out of shape, I haven't yet felt "warmed up and ready to go." I've just felt "too hot and ready to sleep."
14. What do you do with your key when you run? Leave it home, tie it to my shorts, or stick it in a pocket. Why do you ask? Are you planing to mug me?
15. If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one what it be? I don't think I would want to relive a single one. This question must be for people who actually like running.
16. What type of run is your least favorite type of run? The kind that lands me in a public restroom or porta potty. I've had more of those than I care to admit. 
17. What has been your biggest motivation lately to get out the door to get your run on? Right now I'm not very motivated at all. Sometimes a new song on my playlist helps, and sometimes, if I wake up in the morning and can't go back to sleep, I'm drawn to running in the cooler temps (but we're talking, like, 5:00 a.m. so this is rare). 
18. When you go for a run, do you leave right from your front door or do you drive somewhere to start? I start from my house. Time is precious right now, so I don't want to waste it driving somewhere to run (even though the scenery could improve immensely). The thing I like about starting from home is that I know all of the mileage.
19. When running in daylight—> are sunglasses a must or an annoyance? I don't mind running in sunglasses.
20. When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting? I'm still trying to figure that out. Right now, every run is a battle. I used to run with a friend, and the conversation kept me going, but I don't run with her anymore.

*This picture was taken right after a drive-by bottom poking during Ragnar. I'd like to think I'm just that intense when I run, but in all truthfulness, it was a moment of self-defense. Judo-CHOP! 

2 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Yay! This made me happy! :)

I think there are cycles in our affection with running. It's OK if you're not loving it right now. It will get better! Plus, you have a lot on your plate. Maybe it's just not the right season to be totally immersed in running.

Or maybe you just need a running skirt! :)

Feisty Harriet said...

Yes to Blue gatorade/powerade/electrolyte drink. I'm convinced only children like any of the other colors because they taste like nasty melted candy.

xox