Wednesday, September 3, 2014

It's in my Genes

For the past couple of months, I've been trying to find out how I'm connected to a very obscure relative.* I know he's in my family history somewhere, I just haven't been able to find the exact line.

Family History is big in my church. We are encouraged to find out who our ancestors are and learn about their lives. It is a fascinating thing, and I have found that I am related to some very cool people:

Amelia Earhart (12th cousin, 3 times removed)
Bing Crosby (14th cousin, 4 times removed)
Charlemagne (37th great-grandfather)**
Elias Disney (14th cousin, 4 times removed)
Emily Dickinson (13th cousin, 5 times removed)
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) (14th cousin, 7 times removed)

Just to name a few.

I'm also related to:

11 of the current 12 apostles (everyone but Quentin L. Cook)
President Henry B. Eyring (11th cousin)
23 of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence
15 prophets of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
21 Presidents of the United States

Not bad, eh?

*This relative was mentioned in a talk by Henry B. Eyring. He is President Eyring's great-uncle, Gaskell Romney, who gave President Eyring his patriarchal blessing. I have multiple patriarchs in my family line, so I want to find out how I'm related to this particular patriarch.
**I am directly related to over 100 members of European royalty

3 comments:

Jana Lyn said...

Wow, that's really interesting how many well-known people you are related to.

Feisty Harriet said...

Most of my family history is done (not by me, and to be honest I haven't looked at it much), but I do know that William the Conquerer (Norman invader who united England) is my direct ancestor, as is William Wallace of Bravehart fame....so, that's cool. :)

xox

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

I love this stuff!!! So much! And I loved that site. And we're cousins too somehow, because I'm related to so many of those same people. I guess it's just a good reminder that we are all cousins somehow :)