Monday, June 2, 2014

Seven Days

This morning I saw a writing prompt asking, "If you had seven days without seeing a soul, what would you do?"

It's rare that a writing prompt actually prompts me (you have to admit, there are some really bizarre writing prompts out there), but as a mother of three who is always on the edge of Crazy Town, seven days without seeing a soul is the kind of stuff I daydream about.

I'd be lonely, of course. But it would be good for me.

I'm not sure about the location of this fantasy, but if I get to choose, it would be somewhere warm enough to sunbathe once and cool enough to spend the rest of the time in stretchy pants and a hoodie.

(It's my fantasy. I get to control the climate).

So, the sun-bathing? That would be done naked.

I'm alone. I deserve to be sun-kissed in the nude.

I would spend a lot of time singing... channeling my inner Pink. I'd also whip out all of my old high school dance moves - stuff I haven't tried in years - just to see what it's like to dance like a 16 year old in a 30 year old body.

I would take lots of hot showers. Long ones.

I'd listen to all of the songs that I'm embarrassed to like - nice and loud! No holding back!

I'd watch all six seasons of Lost, and I'd talk to the characters like I'm one of them. That's 86.9 hours of TV, so I'd have to multi-task. So Lost in the shower. Lost while I sunbathe naked. Lost while I hang out in my stretchy pants and sweatshirt in a super comfy bed. Lost while I sing "Family Portrait" and do triple pirouettes.

I'd sleep whenever I want for how long I want.

I'd use the bathroom with the door open.

(Slight chance I do that anyway).

I'd read a book or two and write a few blog posts.

I'd engage in some gospel study. Really, I would. Time alone studying the gospel is rare and beautiful. I would make that happen. (Okay, so Lost and gospel study don't exactly go hand-in-hand, but this is my fantasy, so I'm going to make it work).

I'd do some real soul-searching, goal-setting, and journal writing.

I'd feel guilty for watching so much Lost, but I'd do it anyway.

Maybe I'd go for a run, but I can't make any promises.

I'd probably cry a little since being alone tends to bring out some strange, suppressed emotions.

What would you do?

6 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Hmmmmm. An entire week alone? I'd probably be paralyzed by indecision! So many possibilities...

Feisty Harriet said...

Oh man, this sounds heavenly!! I usually get 2.5 days alone once a month, when Blue Eyes goes to see his kids, and it is heavenly. But, I also tend to schedule things with other people. 7 days all by my lonesome sounds completely delightful.

May steal this writing prompt.

xox

love.joy.lane said...

I would probably go insane. I could handle a day (to meticulously clean my entire house - lame, I know, but that is what I fantasize about) but 7 would be way too isolated.

BUT seven days alone with just Blake - that would be awesome! We would hike and swim (we would be on a beach right by the mountains)and eat amazing food and read and play games and most definitely sunbathe naked...

Stacey said...

I would probably be lost for a whole week. A couple of days would do just fine. I can foresee some TV, some running and some blogging for sure!

Trisha said...

I dream and talk about this all the time. I would spend the first day or two just relaxing, reading and doing whatever I wanted. Then I would spend the next 5 days doing some major cleaning and organizing and any other project that I've been wanting/needing to do. Then I would need Nick to come back for 2 days and help get a few projects done that I need him for and spend some one-on-one time together. After that then the kids could come back.

Nameless-Sister-In-Law said...

As someone who spends a great deal of time alone (especially lately), I can say that I don't really like it. Sometimes it's good, but it gets really old, really fast. No one believes me when I say I spend so much time alone, but I do. Bathroom door open, sleeping as much as I want, listening/watching whatever I want, it's great, but not that great.

Last summer I spent 5 days alone in California. Granted, it wasn't that I didn't see a single soul, because I saw strangers around town, but I didn't talk to anyone. I suppose there are two basic morals to my story (aka my comment):
1. One persons fantasy can sometimes be another persons hell.
2. Lonely, Alone, Solitude, and Isolation mean very different things.

Then again - perhaps the key words would be voluntary vs. involuntary.